Friday, December 16, 2011

What Have I Learned This Semester?


I have learned a lot this semester. I like it how Ms. Knapp uses technology in her teaching. Having our papers posted on a blog is a wonderful thing; it benefits both the teacher and the students. This really benefits the students because it gives us greater flexibility to work on our assignments. Additionally, the students have the opportunity to learn from each other, which only enhances our learning.  

This semester I also learned a lot from other students. I enjoyed reading the blogs of other students and learned much from reading their papers. The diversity of the students in the class is reflected in how we write and the things we write about. We all have much in common but have different life’s experiences---which is good!

This semester I also learned that it is extremely important to read the instructions carefully, and then plan your work accordingly. I have learned that I could have done very well this semester in all my classes, including French, if I would have just read the instructions (the syllabus) carefully and checked the calendar. But I am a guy and sometimes I reason, “Hey, I got this thing figured out, I don’t need no instructions.” Furthermore, at the beginning of the semester every class looks very easy---am I the only one who feels this way?

Perhaps it is all designed this way on purpose… but I have never been big on conspiracy theories. Then I find out that at the end of the semester I have finals in four classes, all at the same time, while I am well-prepared for two---that’s fifty per cent, or 500 per thousand.

I learned that I have a good mind, thank God! and am capable of getting A’s in all my classes, but my baggage gets in the way. We all carry our own baggage---well, I am speaking for myself. This idea came to me a couple of weeks ago after a Friday class. I was walking on Leigh Avenue toward the LR station when I saw a Toyota Camry parked on the street; the car looked clean and in good condition on the outside, but on the inside it was full of garbage. I took some pictures of the car, and then wondered about the person who owned that car. Why would they keep that trash and carry it around in the car? This is not the first time that I have seen a car like that.

I have recently realized that I, too, carry my own baggage, though I would not compare it to what I saw in that car. Nevertheless, I have become aware that I still carry baggage, and that baggage gets in the way of me doing my best. I am not being pessimistic or feeling hopeless---not at all---just thinking out loud.  

Merry Christmas! ¡Feliz Navidad! Happy Winter Break!

1 comment:

  1. Great metacognitive reflection here Jim. Yes, we all do have our baggage, but becoming aware of this perpetual burden enables us to set it down once in awhile and in doing so gain clarity on not only who we are now, but also who we aspire to be.

    ReplyDelete